Engagement and Education Specialist - Bedford, Bedfordshire
”I’m not going to school.”
Many of our young people are struggling with anxiety and mental health issues, often as a result of their homelife and experiences.
Work 1:1 with a young person of KS3/4 age who needs your understanding, patience and resilience. They have had a troubled start. A volatile and abusive home-life has led to mental health issues and caused them to self-harm and display violence. You really could make all the difference to someone’s life and educational prospects.
- Working on a bank staff contract – offering you a healthy work/life balance
- Located in and around the Bedford area
- Competitive hourly rates plus additional payment for planning and reports
- Placements last 6-12 weeks – hours may vary
What’s in it for you?
- Opportunity to utilise and maximise your valuable experience - and be appreciated for it
- Autonomy of teaching but fully supported with a dedicated education manager
- Travel, food and resources subsidised per session
- CPD training offered and encouraged
- Opportunity to attend Fresh Start's annual national conference in London
What do you need to work for Fresh Start and with their young people in this area?
- Experience of planning and delivering education for young people of KS3 and/or KS4 age
- Experience supporting young people with additional needs, in particular with SEMH
- Experience of working with young people who may be violent and self-harm
- Experience delivering Functional Skills, activity and project-based learning
- Experience of supporting Looked After Children and those excluded from education
- Have a range of work-based knowledge of engagement and behaviour management techniques
- Be non-judgemental, patient, emotionally resilient and person-centred
- Enhanced DBS Certificate
- Consistent weekly availability (minimum 2 days per week)
Even if you don't have all the above, it's worth giving us a call on 020 3409 3139 and we can chat about your experience
If this position sounds right up your street, click Apply to register now and upload your CV.
We’re serious about Safeguarding and Child Protection. Therefore, if successful, you must be willing to undergo thorough employment and character reference checks as well as an enhanced Child and Adult DBS check.